Atlanta Attorneys Assisting Families Who Wish to Sponsor a Loved One for a Green Card

family hugging at airportIt is natural that one who has built a successful life in the United States would want their family members and loved ones to join them. United States law provides both U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents the opportunity to sponsor close family members and spouses. Such sponsorship is a way for families to be reunited and live together permanently in the U.S. Our Atlanta immigration attorneys assist lawful U.S residents and citizens with the process of petitioning for a family member or spouse to enter the country and obtain a green card. If you are currently a U.S. citizen or green card holder and wish to sponsor a close family member, contact our office today. Our lawyers service all of Georgia.

Atlanta immigration attorneys helping U.S. citizens and green card holders reunite with family members

U.S. immigration law allows citizens and green card holders to sponsor a number of different family members for residency purposes. A citizen may file a family petition to bring a loved one into the United States on behalf of:

  • A Spouse
  • A parent
  • An unmarried child under 21 (including adopted children and qualifying step-children)
  • An unmarried son or daughter, including their minor children
  • Married sons and daughters, including their spouses and minor children
  • Brothers and sisters, plus spouses and minor children

Lawful permanent residents may sponsor their spouses and their unmarried children of any age. Our attorneys can assist a permanent resident in obtaining citizenship through naturalization to enable them to petition more family members. A limited number of family based visas are given out each year. These visas are based on a combination of the preference category you fall into as well as the chronological date your petition was filed.

Our Atlanta immigration attorneys will assist with the application process from beginning to end. Ana Fuentes and Richard Summers will discuss with you the realistic amount of time you may have to wait until you can apply for and receive your green card. They will also explore whether your family member may be eligible for another temporary type of visa while you wait. We will discuss with you the requirements of the application process, ensure that your family member is eligible for a potential green card, and inform you of the next steps of the application process. We will work quickly to file your petitions and stay in contact with you throughout the process. Contact our office today.

We serve Atlanta and its greater metro area. This includes the Fulton County cities of Sandy Springs, Roswell, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Milton, and East Point, the DeKalb County cities of Dunwoody, Decatur, Brookhaven, Redan, and, the Cobb County cities of Marietta, Smyrna, Mableton, and Kennesaw, the Fayette County cities of Fayetteville and Peachtree, the Hall County city of Gainesville, as well as other areas throughout the state of Georgia.

Georgia lawyers assisting immigrants with the family-based petition process

Sponsoring a relative is not a small undertaking. If your relative is outside of the U.S., the first step is to file a Petition for Alien Relative with the Department of Homeland Security. Your petition will be sent to the National Visa Center for pre-processing once it has been approved. At this point you will need to pay all of your fees, submit your documents, and your loved one will need the appropriate vaccinations and medical examination. Our office will guide you through this process, ensure that all application materials are filed with the appropriate agency, all fees are paid, and that you understand what the next step is. When it is time for your loved one to make an appointment with the consular for an interview, we will help prepare them for the questions they will be asked and ensure that they bring the correct documentation. Sponsoring a relative can be an overwhelming undertaking, but we will help you break down the steps so that it is manageable and your family is reunited as soon as possible. Contact our lawyers today for a consultation.

If your relative is in the U.S., it is critical to consult with an experienced attorney before submitting any paperwork to any agency. Sometimes relatives can complete the green card process while remaining in the U.S. However, sometimes they must leave to go to an interview at a consulate outside of the U.S. Making the wrong decision at the beginning of the process can cause you to lose the money you pay in fees and it can cause extreme delays in the wait times. It can also put your family member at risk.